Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Edmonton - In My Sword I Trust

Band: Ensiferum
Venue: Starlite Room
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Date: April 9, 2013

The final act of the night when I attended PaganFest in Edmonton was Ensiferum, a "heroic" folk metal band from Helsinki, Finland.
This was the band that I was most looking forward to seeing at the festival, and although it was great, it wasn't quite what I had expected. On the albums, there are a number of additional sounds provided by session musicians, however the live show is pared down to include just the bare essentials (including keyboards.)

Ensiferum closing out the night at PaganFest in Edmonton


About 3/4 of the way through their set, I was getting really overheated. The moshpit wasn't terrible, but it was getting really hot, so I 'tapped out' and headed back to the far back bar for a drink of water. The guy behind me in the audience offered to save my place, which was really nice, but I thanked him and said no-thanks... I knew I needed to cool off instead. The water was free (rare!) so I tipped extra-generous instead, and got some photos from further back in the room.

When the band came out for a short encore, they started it off by singing 'happy birthday' to their keyboard player, while the bass player tapped away at her keys to provide the melody.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment