Monday, July 01, 2013

Edmonton - TrinkenTroll


Band: Trollfest
Venue: Starlite Room
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Date: April 9, 2013

Trollfest is a Norweigian Folk Metal band, and probably the most surprising act of the night when I attended PaganFest in Edmonton.

The band came out on stage with bumblebee headbands, white fishnet tank tops, and other wacky costume elements, and the songs featured all of the expected metal instruments (guitar, bass, drums, vocals) but also an accordion, a mandolin, a saxophone, a cowbell, and a tambourine.

Trollfest, the second act at PaganFest


What I really loved about this band was not just the light-hearted humour (not taking yourself too seriously plays right into the Canadian sense of humour) but also the regular "connection" that I felt with the band when they were on stage. I have several shots of band members sticking their tongues out at me when I took a photo, and they seemed to really play to the crowd, not just play their material. After their set the members were back at the bar (trying to distinguish their Canadian change from the American change in their pockets while ordering vodka shots) and after their set the bassist directly handed me the setlist (hurrah for souvenirs!). While I couldn't understand their lyrics, the songs were upbeat, fun, folky metal, and I bought a CD from the merch booth at the end of the show.( The liner is just as hilarious too...)


View Larger Map




No comments:

Post a Comment